Six energy saving Winter tips
Follow these easy, inexpensive tips to save on your heating bill this winter.
- Install an Energy Star rated, programmable thermostat. Set the program to automatically lower the thermostat at night and during the daytime hours when no one is at home, and see up to a $100 savings on your annual heating bill.
- Remove window air conditioners or purchase quality covers and insulation to prevent leaks and drafts.
- Seal leaky windows and doors with caulk, weather stripping or plastic indoor insulator kits.
- Clean floor and wall vents regularly and keep them unobstructed by furniture, drapes or rugs.
- Change furnace filters at least every two months; more often if you have pets.
- Keep blinds and drapes of sun-exposed windows open during the day to let in the sun's free heat but be sure to close them at night.